Historic Districts

 

  • The full text of the Historic Districts ordinance can be view at General Code, Chapter 71

Bedford Village Historic District

    • Established in 1972
    • Five members, 3-year term appointment
    • Meets on an “as needed” basis

The Historic District Review Commission was established to protect and perpetuate places and buildings having a special historic of aesthetic interest or value within the Bedford Village hamlet. The area, designated as a historic district, dates from the founding of Bedford in 1680 and contains a number of historic landmarks, including the Village Green and a colonial graveyard and public and private buildings that display the architecture of the period from the 1700s to the present.

The Review Commission is charged with regulating the construction of new buildings and the reconstruction, alteration and demolition of existing buildings, including outbuildings, walls, fences, steps and signs.

Current Members

Jim Renwick, Chair
Kirtley Cameron
Craig Intinarelli
Clayton Rose
John Fink

 

 

Katonah Historic District

    • Established in 1986
    • Five members, 5-year term appointment
    • Meets on an “as needed” basis

The Commission is responsible for maintaining the historic character of the hamlet, a rare surviving example of a turn of the century planned community and as the ‘village that moved.’ Most of the buildings in the area were either built or moved to their present sites within the 15-year period from 1885 to 1910 and present a microcosm of American architectural styles during that period. The area includes and surrounds the Katonah Greens, an integral part of the plan designed for Katonah by the landscape architects G.S. and B. S. Olmstead.

Current Members

Deirdre Courtney-Batson, Chair
Meghan Bazaar
Andrew Chintz
Nina Kellogg
Shelley Smith