The Planning Department oversees a wide range of land use and development activities, including environmental and historic preservation efforts. Housed within the Planning Department is the Planning Board, Wetlands Control Commission, and Historic Building Preservation Commission.
How We Serve You
Bedford's planning policies are implemented at three levels:
- The Town Board develops and approves the laws establishing regulations and policies.
- The Planning Board assists in the carrying out of these regulations and policies as well as the formulation of new ones.
- The Zoning Board of Appeals hears and grants relief from regulations and decisions made by Town Officials or land use permitting boards or commissions.
To accomplish these goals, several tools are available to these municipal bodies:
- The Comprehensive Plan expresses the community's goals, visions, and recommendations for future land use patterns and how they affect the natural and built environments with focus on the immediate and long-range protection, enhancement, growth and development of community assets. The adopted plan is currently undergoing a full update.
- The Zoning Code legally organizes how land may be used by establishing an orderly pattern of development across the town by identifying what may be built on a piece of property. All land resides within the established zoning districts and has corresponding regulations governing that district.
- Land Subdivision Regulations provide the procedures and standards under which new lots are created, merged, or reapportioned for land within the town.
Community Coffee Read on...
We have a limited number of summer internships for college students in several town departments. Read on...
Sewer construction in Bedford Hills and Katonah is progressing in a timely manner and within budget. Read on...