Historic Building Preservation

Historic Preservation

Preservation of Bedford’s rich and varied architectural heritage is fundamental to maintaining the town’s distinct historic character and unique appeal. Bedford has long been in the forefront of historic preservation, actively working to protect its historic resources for over a century.

Thanks to decades of preservation efforts by town residents, Bedford retains a remarkably diverse variety of historic structures, from colonial-era homes to early 20th century “Hilltopper” mansions, as well as early barns and vernacular outbuildings representative of the Town’s agrarian past.

Historic properties in Bedford are subject to review by one of three Commissions, depending on location:

Bedford Village Historic District Review Commission
Historic Building Preservation Commission
Katonah Historic District Advisory Commission

 

Historic Preservation Bedford: A Guide

 

 

 

Bedford Village Historic District Commission

  • Established in 1972
  • Five members, 3-year term appointment
  • Meets monthly on “as needed” basis

The Historic District Review Commission was established to protect and perpetuate places and buildings having a special historic aesthetic interest or value within the Bedford Village hamlet. The area, designated as a historic district, dates from the founding of Bedford in 1680 and contains a number of historic landmarks, including the Village Green and a colonial graveyard and public and private buildings that display the architecture of the period from the 1700s to the present.

The Review Commission is charged with regulating the construction of new buildings and the reconstruction, alteration and demolition of existing buildings, including outbuildings, walls, fences, steps and signs.

Current Members

Jim Renwick, Chair
John Fink
George Henschel

Craig Intinarelli

Clayton Rose

Town Building Department – 914.666.8040

            Katonah Historic District Advisory Commission

  • Established in 1986
  • Five members, 5-year term appointment
  • Meets on an “as needed” basis

The Commission is responsible for maintaining the historic character of the hamlet, a rare surviving example of a turn of the century planned community and as the ‘village that moved.’ Most of the buildings in the area were either built or moved to their present sites within the 15-year period from 1885 to 1910 and present a microcosm of American architectural styles during that period. The area includes and surrounds the Katonah Greens, an integral part of the plan designed for Katonah by the landscape architects G.S. and B. S. Olmstead.

The Commission reviews any major changes to exterior appearance.

Current Members

Deirdre Courtney-Batson, Chair
Meghan Bazaar
Andrew Chintz
Nina Kellogg
Shelley Smith

Contact – 914 232-4320

 

 

 

Historic Building Preservation Commission


This Commission (HBPC) was formed in order to protect and preserve buildings in the Town of Bedford, which have or represent distinctive elements of the Town’s historical, archaeological, architectural or cultural past that are not part of the Town’s historic districts. The Commission is comprised of five members that are appointed by the Town Board. The Town’s Historic Building Preservation Law provides a Tier system of historic priorities prioritizing their significance. Only Tier 1 buildings require Commission approval for demolition or significant alteration. The law provides a list of “as-of-right” activities that do not require approval. The Law also requires that the Town prepare and maintain a Survey of Historic Buildings.

 

Current Members

John Stockbridge, Chairman
Amy Parsons
Shelley Smith
John Sullivan
Kate Terry

Contact – Anne Paglia, Secretary – 914-666-4434
Email: Anne Paglia